Monday, March 8, 2010

Project II: Serial Planes




For this phase of the project we used books to create new and unique forms.

Rather than have sketches for this unique medium, I decided to play around with the pages of my book and develop a plan in that way.

Phase B: Serial Planes Using White Foam Board

For my primary sketches I made these small models:

I chose the model on the left, and even began to construct the large scale sculpture. However, part of the way through I became di
ssatisfied with how the project was turning out. Rather than go through with a project I did not like, I decided to go back to the drawing board with the entire thing.

I saw this image on the internet and became inspired by it. Not so much the shapes, but the movement of the piece. I knew then I wanted to create something that had movement.


Phase A and Phase B of this project both equally taught me things. In phase A I realized how to look at something as ordinary as a book and turn it into a whole new sculptural element. Phase A was both challenging and fun. I really enjoyed making something new out of something ordinary. However, there were some limitations on what a person could do with a book. The spine has to be left in, in order for not all of the pages to fall out. Some students even left the book cover as apart of their project. Overall, I really liked the outcome of my altered book. I like the organic shapes of it. To me it looks like a starfish and I like that aspect of it.
In phase B of the project, I ran into many more challenges. I quickly realized how difficult it was to cut the white foam board crisply. I was personally cutting many circles to achieve my design and it was difficult to make a perfectly smooth circle. Overall, I am really pleased with the end product. Despite the difficulties I think my piece is successful. To take my final images of the project, I used very dramatic lighting to showcase the design elements of the piece.
The two phases of the project were very different. With phase A, we were only able to use thin pages of a book. Folding and bending techniques had to be used just to create some volume. In phase B, it was much easier to create volume with the thickness of the white foam board. However, the white foam board was very plain and pure white. It was a challenge to create interest with all one color. Where with the book pages of text or pictures could be used to create interest.



























1 comment:

  1. Project 2: Serial Plane Study
    Evaluation

    Phase 1: Altered Books: A+

    Your grade is based on the evaluation of your project in terms of Concept and Craftsmanship, your Oral presentation and Photo Documentation of the process posted in the blog/ folder.

    Phase 2: Foam board Project: A+

    Your grade is based on the assessment the second phase of this project in terms of Concept and Craftsmanship, application of Elements and Principles of Design while solving the problem and in your Oral presentation during critique.

    The visual documentation of your process flows in a very interesting way and it is good to see how shapes and forms relate in both phases of the project. Creative problem solving in visually engaging 3D artifacts. The outcome shows your engagement with the different process and medias. I also appreciate your completion of visual research requested.

    ReplyDelete